Presentation of the Maaya The term 'maaya', in the West African Bambara language, means “Humanitude��?. The domain name reserved for the Maaya Network, 'maayajo', translates in Bambara to “the reason or cause of humanitude��?. Network
Maaya serves as a platform of exchange and sharing in the area of shared knowledge, where technology offers a great potential for languages, but is also a risk to them, as to date only a very small number of languages of the 6000 spoken in the world are available in cyberspace.
The Maaya Network was founded in the context of the recent World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS), where linguistic and cultural diversity in cyberspace was one of the priorities identified. Maaya was initiated by the African Academy of Languages (ACALAN), under the auspices of the African Union.
While started in the context of the WSIS, Maaya also includes organizations not solely focusing on cyber issues. It is a multi-stakeholder network, involving all actors including civil society, governments and international organizations. Its mission is to value and promote linguistic diversity as a basis of the unity of human communication.
- Encourage governments and institutions to adopt and implement measures enhancing equitable multilingualism;
- Promote mother tongue based bilingual and/or multilingual education at all levels of education everywhere as a means of promoting both social and gender equality;
- Promote software localization and equal access of all languages to cyberspace;
- Facilitate the empowerment of language communities worldwide in developing and using their own languages;
- Contribute to the creation and sharing of language resources;
- Observe the implementation of language policies and serve as a focal point for linguistic research projects.
- To contribute to the reduction of the knowledge divide through the construction of concrete, specific and adapted programs, which enhance the use of languages as means of the world’s cultures;
- To implement Multi-Stakeholder Partnerships in the field of cultural and linguistic diversity;
- To contribute to the strengthening of the dialogue of cultures and civilizations for a world of peace and solidarity.
Download the Brochure of Maaya